We are all aware and concerned about recent violence that occurred on a school campus in Florida. This awareness has heightened our sense of what it means to value the lives of our friends, classmates, teammates, staff and fellow Rockets of all ages.
On March 14th, during lunch period, students will have the opportunity to assemble on our band practice field, just north of our building to:
- Remember lives lost to violence on a school campus in Parkland, FL
- Recognize our desire to ensure safety on our campus all day, every day
- Demonstrate care and concern for others (empathy)
- Implore our student body to live out the Golden Rule in our words and deeds
- Show tolerance towards others when our opinions don’t align
- Reflect on what it means to be NICE (Notice, Invite, Challenge, Empower)
These points of emphasis give reason to allow students to assemble during their lunch period on March 14th.
It is our responsibility to provide the safest environment for all students to learn. It is equally important that we guard our instructional time as best as possible. This gives rise to our decision to allow this assembly on our campus during student lunch periods.